Tuesday, December 11, 2012

When Limited Actually Means Infinite

So yesterday I did a post on my experience with New Balance's custom program,  I copped two pairs, so as you would imagine, I spent a good amount of time experimenting with the colors and materials that are available.

As of late, I've noticed a lot of boutiques have been doing NB collabs using the 574, which is dope to me because I love 574s. However, I didn't think it was very dope when I realized that every single one of these collabs can be made on New Balance's website. These stores have all passed these off as "Very Limited" usually to 50 pairs, which is unfortunate because I've already seen some of these pairs going for double retail on forums, eBay, etc. I'm not that mad at the stores because they're all charging about what it costs to make your own pair on NewBalance.com

My beef is how there will surely be someone who overpays for a pair on the secondary market. Fuck that. I know some will argue that if someone overpays it's their own fault for not being informed, which is somewhat true, but that doesn't make this whole thing any less shitty. So that's why I'm writing this post, so if any of you were thinking about copping any of these, you can just build your own through New Balance. 

Walters x DJ Mars "Holiday Pack"

I fucks with these. Love getting into the holiday spirit. I like supporting local shops, but fuck these dudes out here trying to sell these joints for $200+


and this fuckyberg too (shouts to @Dallas_Penn )...


I encourage all of you to go troll these two if you wish to do so. Here's a screen cap of how you can make them both on NewBalance.com :


Fuck that limited bullshit. If you copped at Walter's in ATL to support local shops, salute. If you copped to flip...

Other stores that have done the same shit recently include Ubiq in Philly:

Concepts in Boston with their "Home Vs Away" Pack:
And Kith with their Grand Opening 574s as well as their USA pack:


All of these are dope shoes in their own right and props to whoever designed each pair. I just with these shops would be upfront about the origins of these shoes and not pass them off as collabs, because that only fuels the hype machine that these resellers try to turn a profit off of. 

That's all I got on the topic, just doing my part so that we all stay informed and don't get caught out here overpaying for kicks.

Peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment